Website Career Centre
Join the Career Centre Team!
Everything you need to build your career in Oceanside is waiting for you at the Career Centre! Join a fabulous, fun and supportive team where you can develop your own skills while helping others move forward on their journey to sustainable employment.
Career Centre is an initiative of the Central Vancouver Island Job Opportunities Building Society, a non-profit organization assisting job seekers in searching for work, exploring career options and providing up-to-date labour market information. We also support local employers through the many resources and programs we have to offer. Our Resource Room is FREE and available to all residents of the Parksville/Qualicum area who are seeking employment. We provide friendly and personalized services to support the community’s employment-related goals.
As a member of the Client Services Team, the Employment Consultant (EC) provides individual and group services. The EC works with a diverse range of individuals, including members of specialized populations, to assist them in securing employment within the guidelines established in the WorkBC Employment Services program. The EC develops respectful, collaborative relationships with clients; conducts Client Needs Assessments to understand the clients’ barriers to achieving their work goals, develops personalized plans to address the clients’ needs, monitors progress and supports clients to secure sustainable employment in a timely manner.
ECs also develop and deliver employment workshops. This position will support clients with varying needs to achieve employment goals. The EC manages client files utilizing the Integrated Case Management (ICM) system.
Client Needs Assessment (CNA)
- Deliver information on WorkBC Employment Services as well as other community programs and resources
- Conduct a CNA through a guided interview process to determine client’s needs and strengths and identify barriers that may be keeping the client from achieving sustainable employment
- Complete a Disability Related Employment Needs Assessment as determined by CNA
- Identify self-sufficient clients who are ready to access job search or career decision making information independently and refer to self-serve services
Action Plan Development
- Assist clients with the development of documented action plans which are realistic, measurable and attainable and make use of the services available within the WorkBC Centre
- Make appropriate referrals, including specialized assessments, to assist in the success of the client’s action plan
- Review, revise and update action plans as necessary to enhance self-sufficiency and sustainable labour market attachment according to client needs and WorkBC requirements
- Support clients who may have barriers and varying abilities to achieve employment goals
- Develop respectful, collaborative relationships with clients
- Utilize various employment counselling techniques appropriate to the client’s goals, skills and needs
- Provide assessments to assist clients in determining employment strengths, weaknesses, transferable skills, interests, aptitudes and experience
- Assist clients to identify employment readiness skills and strengths
- Assess participants for program/session suitability (such as training, self-employment and wage subsidy) as required and make appropriate referrals based on client need
- Support clients in the development of effective job search tools
- Open, maintain and close client files using the Integrated Case Management system (ICM)
Client Progress Monitoring
- Maintain a comprehensive Renew/Review date system to monitor client progress by reviewing activities, learning outcomes, and results on an agreed upon schedule
- Ensure the client achieves employment (or community attachment) in a timely manner
- Utilize ICM to capture client data and to document qualitative and quantitative outcomes
- Facilitate groups in the career exploration and job search process
- Plan and organize specific labour market “theme workshops”
- Develop, maintain and update curriculum for workshops on an ongoing basis
- Deliver information on the labour market, community resources, government programs, job search techniques, career development, and issues related to the unemployed
- Ensure strict adherence to client confidentiality and other professional codes of conduct
- Determine client need and eligibility, complete necessary documentation and administer financial supports when appropriate
- Communicate with service providers, funders, internal stakeholders and clients
- Attend team meetings
Bachelor degree in human services-related field and CCDP certification preferred. May consider equivalent combination of education, training and experience.Experience & skills:
Minimum 2 to 3 years’ experience in employment counselling including case management and group facilitation, or experience directly related to this field of work.Incentives / perks:
What We Offer Our Employees:
- Competitive salary, $25-$29/hour depending on education and experience
- 4 weeks vacation (prorated)
- Health and Wellness program
- Professional Development opportunities, Group Benefit plan and RRSP contributions
- Flexible hours
Our Core Values:
- Teamwork: We are a team - working collaboratively, recognizing strengths and embracing diversity to accomplish organizational goals.
- Professionalism: Our work is entrenched in Openness, Respect, Trust, and Accountability.
- Continuous Learning/Coaching/Mentorship: We are supported to embrace learning opportunities to create positive change. We teach and learn from each other whenever possible.
- Engagement: We are encouraged and inspired to apply our skills, knowledge and grow our abilities inside and outside the workplace; while recognizing the importance of work-life balance.
Please address application to:
The Hiring Committee
CVIJOBS, Career Centre
PO BOX 1362
Parksville, BC, V9P 2H3
In person: drop off at Career Centre, #110-198 East Island Highway, Parksville
Competition will remain open until a suitable candidate is found. While we are appreciative of all applicants’ interests in employment with our organization, only those short-listed will be contacted.
We welcome applications from persons with diverse backgrounds and all abilities.