OHEARTS: Oceanside Homelessness Ecumenical Advocacy Response Team Society
OHEARTS Shelter Support Worker 1 will work with a second staff member to manage a warm, safe 8-bed shelter for adults who require temporary overnight shelter. Shelter location: St Edmunds Anglican Church Parish Hall. Operating hours: 8:00 pm to 8:00 am nightly, now until March 31 2021. Dinner and breakfast will be prepared. Information regarding access to support services will be shared with shelter guests as they request.
Oceanside HEART Society is an ecumenical group working together to create a safe, welcoming and caring environment offering temporary overnight cold weather shelter. We are a non-profit society looking for employees who are comfortable working in a team environment. This position will be starting as soon as possible and continuing to March 31, 2021.Education required:
- Level 1 Standard First Aid and Narcan Training or willing to obtain this training
- Certificate qualification such as Counselling Courses, Addictions Courses, Non-violent crisis intervention/de-escalation, Managing Hostile Interactions
- Willing to get a Criminal Record Check: with Vulnerable Populations Check
Training with the Society:
- Covid 19 protocols
- Policies and procedures
- Trauma informed – non-violent crisis intervention/de-escalation
Qualified College Certification would be an asset but not required.Experience & skills:
- Experience in working with those who are homeless, experience with vulnerable populations, relevant lived experience, experience working with seniors, and/or experience with people who are self-medicating
Shelter support workers have the opportunity to play a significant mentoring role, providing, first of all, a warm, welcoming and comfortable environment to those who are homeless and secondly, assisting these individuals, if requested, to connect to services they may need.Additional Info:
This project is funded by BC Housing, with significant supports from the Oceanside community.How to apply:
Please email your letter of application and resume with references to
OceansideHEART2020@gmail.com or text/call 250-927-2717.