The Provincial Government has recently posted Labour Market Outlook for 2010 to 2020 on the WorkBC.ca website and over one million job openings are expected in B.C. from 2010 to 2020. It is estimated that 66% of these job openings will be due to replacement demand and the rest will be from expansion. Across B.C. the largest number of job openings are expected in:
• Sales and Service Occupations
• Business, Finance and Administration Occupations
• Trades, Transport and Equipment Operators and Related Occupations
The three occupation groups expected to experience the strongest growth in demand in the province are:
• Health occupations
• Natural and Applied Sciences and Related Occupations
• Occupations in Art, Culture, Recreation and Sport
The greatest number of job openings is expected in occupations requiring some post-secondary education, college or trade certificate. Approximately 78% of job openings will require some post-secondary.
Of course no projection can be completely accurate, but being aware of this information can assist a job seeker make a more educated decision in their future.