New Year – New Job
Tips to Stay Motivated While Job Searching
Happy 2018! The New Year can be a great time to bring new energy into your job search.
Here are a few tips to get you started and help you stay motivated:
- Set SMART Goals (and write them down):
- Specific (simple, sensible, significant)
- Measurable (meaningful, motivating)
- Achievable (attainable)
- Relevant (realistic and results-based)
- Time bound (time-based, time-sensitive)
For example: Monday – reach out to two contacts for an informational interview; or apply for two jobs a week. Keeping a list where we can check things off as we go along can help to create a sense of accomplishment.
- Take a Break: Yes, looking for a job can be a full-time job. However, taking a day off and looking after yourself is also an important part of job searching. Pre-determine days that are going to be “off days,” where you will re-energize, re-focus and relax. How you unwind is up to you, the important thing is making time to do it.
- Buddy Up: Having someone to talk to or check-in with about your job search can be a valuable tool to staying motivated. Having someone to not only debrief with, but also to hold us accountable for the things we say we are going to do, can help us to stay on task. It can be hard to ask for help, but support is proven to foster more success.
- Lend a Hand: See if you can find an opportunity to volunteer in the community. Volunteering allows us to connect with others, network, and could lead to employment. Giving to others creates positive energy and a sense of accomplishment, which can help to keep us motivated!