New Year – New You. Self-care Tips for 365 Days of the Year
An important part of being job ready, or life ready, is self-care. At the Career Centre, we can definitely support you with your professional care, and work with you towards finding employment, but what about the rest?
What is self-care? Self-care is any activity we do deliberately in order to take care of our mental, emotional, physical and spiritual health. Good self-care is key to improved mood and reduced anxiety. It’s also key to a good relationship with oneself and others.
What isn’t self-care? Knowing what self-care is not might be even more important. It is not something that we force ourselves to do, or something we don’t enjoy doing. As Agnes Wainman explained, self-care is “something that refuels us, rather than takes from us.”
Where do you start? Well, there are three golden rules:
- Stick to the basics. Over time you will find your own rhythm and routine.
- Self-care needs to be something you actively plan, rather than something that just happens.
- If you don’t see something as self-care or don’t do something in order to take care of yourself, it won’t work as such. Be aware of what you do, why you do it, how it feels, and what the outcomes are.
- Set up a 15-day self-care routine and see how you feel before and after. And never forget: As with everything, self-care takes practice!
- Self-Care Apps: There are many! Fabulous, Sanity & Self, I am … Find one that works for you and Take Care!