Wage Subsidy Program
REDUCE THE COSTS OF TRAINING YOUR NEW EMPLOYEE
The Wage Subsidy program, managed by the Career Centre, provides financial support to an employer as an incentive to hire and provide work experience and skills enhancement to eligible job seekers.
Benefits of the Wage Subsidy Program for Employers:
- The employer is reimbursed a portion of a new (eligible) employee’s wages to offset the cost of training.
- The Career Centre provides a free job posting service. Employers are welcome to post a Wage Subsidy position, which will be placed on our website.
- The Career Centre can assist you with your hiring and refer suitable candidates that are eligible for the wage subsidy program.
- Must be a registered business with Canada Revenue Agency and be up to date with source deductions and be in business for at least one year.
- Must be registered and in good standing with WCB coverage and comply with BC Labour Standards.
- Must offer 35-40 hours per week and intend for the position to be long term. Some flexibility in hours is possible if required by the new employee.
- Must determine a fixed rate of pay ~ commission only positions and piece work are not eligible.
- Must be prepared to provide orientation, train the new employee and confirm that the candidate would not have been hired without a wage subsidy.
Job Seeker Eligibility:
- Must be unemployed and in need of work experience as identified by the Career Centre
- Must have an Employment Insurance (EI) attachment, defined as:
Currently on an active EI claim; or
Has received EI benefits in the past (reachback EI client or former EI claimant); or
Has earned more than $2,000 in insurable earnings and paid EI employee premiums on those earnings in at least five (consecutive or non-consecutive) of the last 10 years; or
Had a maternity or parental EI claim within the last five years and is now ready to return to work.
How to access the Wage Subsidy Program:
- Before the applicant starts employment, we must have a contract in place. Please call us before offering employment.
How it Works:
- Once employer and job seeker eligibility is confirmed, the Career Centre will provide an Employer Application package. This application takes very little time to complete and can be processed quickly by the Career Centre.
- Upon receipt of the Employer Application, the Employer Services Coordinator will review the application and contact the employer for clarification. If suitable, the Career Centre prepares a Wage Subsidy Contract and arranges a time to meet with the employer and new employee to review and sign the agreement.
- The Career Centre completes the paperwork in a timely manner. Our main goal is to assist individuals in securing immediate full time employment.
- We reimburse the agreed upon percent of the wage on a monthly basis and our commitment is to process the cheque within five working days of receiving the claim.
Remember – call us before you hire the person you would like a subsidy for, to ensure you are eligible for funding.
Call Brenda Race, our Employer Services Coordinator at 250.248.3205 ext. 236 or email email@example.com for more information.