WorkBC Wage Subsidy Program
REDUCE THE INITIAL TRAINING COST OF RE-HIRING AND/OR HIRING A NEW EMPLOYEE
The WorkBC Wage Subsidy program, managed by the Career Centre, provides financial support to an employer as an incentive to hire and/or re-hire for full time permanent positions and provide work experience and skills enhancement to eligible job seekers.
Benefits of the Wage Subsidy Program for Employers:
- The employer is reimbursed a portion of an (eligible) employee’s wages during the term of the Wage Subsidy (up to 24 weeks).
- The Career Centre provides a free job posting service on our website where employers are welcome to post their Wage Subsidy position.
- The Career Centre can assist you with your recruiting and can refer suitable candidates.
- An employer may apply for the Wage Subsidy to re-hire an employee following a lay off.
- An employer may apply for the Wage Subsidy to hire an employee they have recruited independent of the Career Centre/WorkBC services.
- Must be a registered business with Canada Revenue Agency and be up to date with source deductions.
- Must be registered and in good standing with WCB coverage and comply with BC Labour Standards.
- Must be at arm’s length of the potential employee and the WorkBC Employment Services Contractor (Career Centre).
- Must offer a full time position of approximately 35 hours per week and intend for the position to be long term. Some flexibility in hours is possible if required by the new employee.
- Must determine a fixed rate of pay. (Please inquire about commission only positions and piece work.)
- Must be prepared to provide orientation, and on-the-job training and support for the new employee.
Job Seeker Eligibility:
- Must be unemployed.
- Must be legally permitted to work in Canada.
- Must be a resident of British Columbia.
HOW TO ACCESS THE WAGE SUBSIDY PROGRAM:
Qualified employers can apply at any point during their recruitment or re-hiring process. If you are ready to make an employment offer OR if you are just starting to search for a candidate you can apply online!
If your business is actively recruiting, please be sure to post on the Career Centre website job postings. With an average of 1,079 views per day, our job posting service remains an important resource, showcasing employment opportunities for all job seekers!
Important Note: Before the candidate starts employment with your organization, the wage subsidy contract must be signed by all parties. Please call Lorrie Mohl, Employer Services Coordinator at 250.248.3205 ext 236 before the employee’s first day of employment.
Things to Note:
- Eligible employers are responsible for identifying and evaluating the individual for the position and may accept or decline an individual referred by the Career Centre (WorkBC Parksville) for a Wage Subsidy placement.
- Once employer and job seeker eligibility is confirmed, the Career Centre will work with both parties and determine the appropriate terms of each Wage Subsidy agreement. The terms of a Wage Subsidy agreement for a “Re-Hire” position will likely be quite different from a Wage Subsidy agreement for a newly created position or a position where extensive on-the-job training and skill development is required.
- We know you are busy. The Career Centre aims to complete the paperwork in a timely manner and will reimburse the agreed upon percentage of the wage following each payroll period or on a monthly basis. Our commitment is to process the subsidy cheque to the employer within five working days of receiving the claim form and supporting documents (pay stubs, time card, etc.).
For more information on how your organization may benefit from the WorkBC Wage Subsidy program, please contact:
Employer Services Coordinator
250.248.3205 ext. 236
Ian Lindsay, a local realtor, shares how easy and beneficial it is to utilize the Wage Subsidy program:
“My real estate business needs to have an effective administrative team in place at all times. The Career Centre, with support from the Wage Subsidy program, has allowed me to train and upgrade new employees in a supportive, easy paper/cash flow process. The Career Centre staff care about both the employee and the employer. I strongly recommend contacting them to see what they can do for you and your business in these changing times!” – Ian Lindsay, RE/MAX Anchor Realty